Winter Fire Safety Tips


Did you know that heating your home during the winter months increases your risk of a residential fire? That is why all Canadians must be mindful of the importance of fire prevention and safety in the home. As you stay warm and cosy this winter, help reduce your risk of a house fire with the following home heating tips:

Heating Appliances

  • Keep anything that can burn at least 1 metre or 3 feet from any heat source such as fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
  • Do not dry clothes or shoes on or near a heater.
  • Periodically inspect the heater's cord for damage and frayed or exposed wires, and do not use the appliance if any damage is present.
  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance into an electrical outlet at a time.
  • Turn the heater off when you are not in the room, and do not leave children or pets unsupervised with a heater that is turned on.
  • Keep portable generators outside, away from windows and as far away from your home as possible.

Fireplaces and Wood Stoves

  • Build your fire with a small amount of dry, seasoned wood to keep the flames under control.
  • Do not overload your fireplace or stove since burning too much wood at once can cause tar and creosote to build up in your chimney or stove pipes, creating a fire hazard.
  • Never use highly flammable materials such as wrapping paper or gasoline in a woodstove or fireplace which can produce dangerous fireballs of flammable material.
  • Always use a screen in front of the fireplace, and never leave children unattended by a fire.
  • Keep the damper of your fireplace or woodstove open until the fire is out and the ashes are cool enough to touch.
  • Store cooled ashes in a lightly covered metal container and keep them outside at least 3 metres or 10 feet from your home or any nearby building.

No mater what time of year it is, it's important to have a fire escape plan for your house and regularly review it with your family.

Despite your best efforts, accidents can still happen. If your home has been damaged by fire and smoke, call ServiceMaster Restore. Our residential fire and smoke damage restoration services can help get your life back to normal as quickly as possible.