- What causes mould?
- What is black mould?
- Are there any warning signs of mould to look for in my commercial facility?
Excess moisture caused by leaks or flooding in your commercial property — especially in typically damp environments like the kitchen and bathrooms — creates the perfect breeding ground for mould or mildew. To control and reduce the risk for mould growth in these areas, you must properly maintain your plumbing system and monitor any appliances in your facility that use large quantities of water, such as dish washers. Small amounts of indoor mould are unavoidable and usually harmless. In damp environments, however, mould spores can more easily reproduce and cause more serious and difficult to remove mould problems.
Black mould (Statchybotrys chartarum) is greenish-black in colour and grows in conditions where there is an excessive amount of moisture over a long period of time. Water damage, excessive humidity, water leaks and condensation in small, damp places like bathrooms all create a perfect breeding ground for black mould. Black mould releases microtoxins, a noxious substance that can cause serious health problems for humans and pets.
If there are dark spots on your ceiling, floors or walls, this is a sure sign of mould growth. Musty odours and mildew are often also signs that mould may be growing in your property. Respiratory and allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, trouble breathing and wheezing are a common indicator of mould growth as well. High humidity levels in your building that result in condensation on glass and metal surfaces are also a warning sign of mould.